Dubai – the second largest emirate of the seven United Arab Emirates is also one of the most popular travel destinations in the world. Dubai has transformed and developed in an incredible way. There is Palm Island, Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world), World’s largest indoor ski slope, beaches, world-class malls and lot more. Dubai offers everything that attract travelers from all around the world.
With all that development, Dubai has still managed to retain its cultural diversity. Travelers here can visit the famous art museums, or they can attend the well-renowned Dubai Film Festival, then for shoppers there is Dubai Shopping Festival. Dubai is one emirate or to say an international city that is waiting to be explored. Let’s find out more.
Best Time to Visit
Dubai is located in the Arabian Desert and this is one major reason that the city enjoys a warm climate all year long. Summers are very harsh due to the desert setting. To enjoy the best of Dubai, plan a trip to the city during winters. October to April is the best time to visit as the weather is mild and the temperature remains around 20 degrees centigrade to 30 degrees centigrade.
Dubai has a well-developed and maintained public transport system. For inland commuting travelers can go for buses, Dubai metro, Dubai tram and taxis etc. Travelers can also purchase a Nol card which can be used in the metro, tram and taxis.
Dubai International Airport – It is the busiest airport in the world by international passenger traffic and one of the most technologically advanced airports too. The airport is frequented by all major airlines.
Important Things to Know
Dubai is a cosmopolitan city but at the same time it knows how to preserve its cultural heritage. Though there are no set rules for the travelers but being a Muslim city there are some restrictions for everyone who is visiting Dubai. Like, travelers are required to dress modestly in public places. Also the PDA (public display of affection like hugging and kissing) is strictly prohibited in the public areas. Visitors are also asked to cover their head, shoulders and knees while visiting a mosque. One can’t click the photographs of local residents without their permission. These are some of the most basic rules that travelers have to follow.
Best Tourist Attractions of Dubai
- Burj Khalifa – This 829.8 m tall building is currently the tallest building in the world. The view from the observation deck (at the 124th floor) is simply breathtaking and every traveler coming here must experience it. Even Tom Cruise couldn’t resist himself from doing a stunt at Burj in Mission Impossible 4. No trip to Dubai will be complete without a visit to Burj Khalifa.
- Burj Al-Arab – Standing 321 m high, Burj Al-Arab is the tallest hotel in the world. It is located on its own artificial island and is designed in shape of a billowing dhow sail. Besides being the tallest hotel, Burj Al-Arab is also the costliest hotel in the world. If you want to enjoy luxury living at its best, then book a suite at this hotel. For that you will have to shell out approx. $15,000 for a night.
- Dubai Mall – This mall is the entry point of Burj Khalifa and Dubai Aquarium. The biggest attraction of Dubai Mall is the indoor ice-skating rink. Come here during January and February to enjoy the famous Dubai Shopping Festival. Live music and fashion show are another treat for the visitors coming here.
- Palm Islands – Palm Jumeirah, the latest addition to Palm Islands is a man-made archipelago. Palm Jumeirah is one of the biggest tourist attractions of Dubai and visitors can enjoy a host of activities here. Even some famous celebrities like Shah Rukh Khan, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, David Beckham, Tiger Woods and others have bought villas and luxury apartments in Palm Islands.
Other Famous and Must Visit Dubai Attractions
- Dubai Museum
- Old Dubai (Bastakia)
- Jumeirah Mosque
- Dubai Creek
- Dubai Aquarium
- Ski Dubai
- Ferrari World
- Dubai Desert Conservation Center
- Dubai Souks
Beaches of Dubai
Dubai has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The white sandy coastline and the crystal clear water often allure travelers from different parts of the world. There are many beaches on the Jumeirah stretch that belong to the hotels and only the hotel guests can access them. For others there are public beaches that are free (means you have to pay a meagre amount or don’t have to pay any money to access them).
- Jumeirah Beach – It is the cheapest and also the most popular public beach in Dubai. This 1 km long beach is an ideal place to relax and enjoy the sun. Come here to enjoy the spectacular view of Al-Arab hotel along with Jumeirah Beach Park.
- Al Mazmar Beach Park – On the Deira side of the creek in this park is located another popular public beach. The public facilities that the visitors can enjoy here include playgrounds, food kiosks and picnic areas.
- Kite Beach – If you love water sports, then you must come here. Kite beach is also known as Sheikh Hamdan Beach and is popular for adventure activities like kite surfing and water skiing etc. The entry for Kite Beach is free and it is open for all.
- Jebel Ali Beach – If you want to spend some alone time and looking for a not so crowded beach, then you must come here. This beach is located a bit far from the city and is another popular destination for kite surfing.
Shopping in Dubai – Dubai is world famous for its malls and souks. No trip to Dubai is complete without a visit to its world-class malls. The malls here are more than just a shopping destination. To keep the visitors intriguing they have ice-skating rinks, aquariums, ski slopes and lot more. Among the rest Dubai Mall is the most popular one. Here is the remaining list.
- Mall of the Emirates – No wonder it is one of the largest malls of Dubai. There are almost 560 stores here. For entertainment purpose there is Ski Dubai, DUCTAC, Magic Planet and Vox Cinemas. Address - Sheikh Zayed Rd, Interchange 4, Al Barsha.
- Wafi City – The most lavishly designed mall, Wafi City attracts thousands of international visitors every year. This mall is designed on the Egyptian theme and it houses pyramids, hieroglyphs and statues of Ramses and Anubis. Every night at 9.30 pm, visitors can enjoy a light and sound show here. Address - Oud Metha & Sheikh Rashid Rds.
- Souk Al Bahar – It is a contemporary Arabic style mall located in Downtown Dubai. Souk Al Bahar means ‘Market of the Sailor’ and it features high arches and natural stone walkways. Address –Downtown Dubai.
Listed here are some of the most happening bars and nightclubs of Dubai. These are quite popular among the international tourists coming here.
- Chi@the Lodge
- Bahri Bar
- Double Decker
- Fibber Magge’s